Monday

Professional Tips and Polo Shirts: A Clinic Weekend

Photo by Christina Schweighofer
This weekend, Esso and I participated in a clinic with Judy Harvey at the Paddock Riding Club in LA. I love clinics because I get to spend the whole day at the barn, watching rides and hanging out with friends, but more importantly because they offer a new perspective from somebody you otherwise wouldn't train with. Every professional rider has their own tricks and techniques. Some might work for you and your horse and some might not, but you always leave a clinic a little wiser than you were before.

On Saturday, we focused a lot on our lateral work, as Esso is just learning movements like leg-yields and shoulder-ins. First, Judy had me do them in the trot. Then, she had me come down to the walk and repeat the movements that were difficult for us. After we mastered them in the walk she had us pick up the trot and do the whole thing again - and it worked! By the time our ride was over our shoulder-in had improved immensely.

On Sunday, we worked on getting Esso to move away from the "baby" frame (somewhat horizontal in the body and neck) to a more "grown up" frame (more uphill with his hind legs reaching further under him), which we eventually achieved through a series of exercises.

After the clinic, my trainer asked me to list two things I got out of it. The answer was easy:

  1. When we are having trouble with the lateral work, it is a good idea to bring Esso down to walk and repeat the movement.
  2. By keeping Esso straighter through his neck and body I can achieve more suspension and a higher degree of collection.
Oh and I almost forgot... On Sunday, my friend Rison and I showed up in matching polos (see top right)! We got them last summer when Rison made the Region 7 team for the North American Junior and Young Rider Championships and we both traveled to Kentucky - she the competitor and I her groom. Rison ended up winning the team silver and individual bronze medals, and we both came home with NAJYRC T-shirts!

With the help of my trainer and many more clinics, I hope to make the team myself some time in the not too distant future!

No comments:

Post a Comment